11.23.2005

Who are we talking to?

I had one of those deep conversations with a friend today where I walked away feeling like a better person. You know the kind... where things are happening on a level we don't fully understand, and questions are being answered, that we haven't even asked out loud.

The most significant thought she passed on to me was how she had recently been in a situation where her and a couple friends were distressed about some relational conflicts. But instead of talking/gossiping about it, they stopped, and prayed over it together. We continued to talk about how powerful that would be if we made a commitment to always pray over people instead of talk about them.

I remember one of my favorite people, Phil, saying, "If I'm ever in a rough spot, and you want to help me, don't just 'send me your thoughts.' Please, go talk to someone who can actually help me... go talk to the Creator on my behalf." I love that thought. It reminds me of how prayer isn't something we do, its someone we talk to.

So today, over a cup of arabic coffee, my friend and I made that commitment to each other: that we would take the iniative to pray for people instead of talk about them. Culture is changed with decisions like that.

It only seems right to end this entry, and end this day, doing just that...

God-- thank you so much speaking to us in a voice that only our soul can hear, thank you for speaking to us through the conversations of others. Please forgive me for any words that I have spoken that have damaged someone else. And forgive me for talking with other people, instead of you, about the things that anger, hurt, annoy and worry me. Teach us how to really love each other.... and how to really love You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home