12.06.2005

#$@&%*#!

I have an amazing friend here at ASU, who shall remain nameless for now, who has become a kindred-spirit of mine. She's the kind of a person who has this inner-light that radiates from her, and is probably the least judgemental person I know. People are just drawn to her because her joy and beauty just kinda suck you in.

Anyhow, this friend of mine told me last week that she was sharing her life experiences with a group of people, and afterward, a student came up to her, absolutely enraged that she cursed and used "filthy language" (which actually amounted to a "damn it" and and couple "what the hell"s... which seems like its more "dingy" than "filthy" to me). Regardless, it really made me stop and think about what "cursing" really is.

I know a woman who makes such a strong stand against 'curse words" in her family that she will get up and turn off the TV after the third time one is spoken during a show. She actually counts out loud.... one... oooh, two... three, that's it! And yet, she has *the* most judgmental, critical, sharp tongue I have ever seen. I have personally experienced her verbally-butcher another family member, either right to their face, and more often than not behind their back.

But I also have people in my life who sometimes use "grey" words, maybe even drop an "f-bomb" once in a while; but they are also the most loving, graceful, encouraging people I know.

Don't you find that jarring???

If curse words = "shit," "damn it," "hell," etc.,
things just aren't adding up for me...

Words are powerful. Our words to each other are powerful. We can criticize, tear down, bring division, change someone's perception of another person or a situation, even emotionally-shread someone with the words we speak; OR we can bind wounds, lift up, bring hope, bring peace, heal relationships, inspire, and even ennoble each other.

Maybe we need to look deeper at our definition of cursing??

Words are powerful.
Our words to each other are powerful.

I know I have been changed by the words of another.
I know I have been change by the Word.

2 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

this is intriguing. to me, cursing is context. "oops I have stepped in some shit" is much different that "you're a shit-faced jerk"
Technically, any word spoken in unrighteous anger or in a vulgar context is cursing. Take "God" for example: His name can be used to address Him AND merely uttering His name as a curse is blasphemy.

So the motive determines the curse value?

This is a fun topic, by the way.

I too have experienced Christians who tolerate zero curse words, and yet use all remaining words in the English language to verbally assault other people.

It's the motives behind mouth.
Any word can be a curse if not used in an way that edifies.

Wow, I went a bit of a tangent there, sorry. Well, I'm no Schaeffer and the above isn't doctrine, but those are my thoughts.

Thought-provoking blog entry.

You really should be leading a community group.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home