4.09.2007

easter non-production...

I been going to Easter services for the last 30+ years and have probably seen the whole spectrum of how people celebrate together: the litigurical service, the deeply-reflective (even emo) experience, the media-rich emergent service, the super high-energy celebrations, and the highly produced dramatic presentations (of the Passion, etc.).

But yesterday we gathered with a community (that we are falling in love with) who just listened to people's life stories before they were baptized: a sweet high school girl who had struggled with depression, a college kid who felt safe enough in the community to be really open about his deeper struggles, a really funny guy from NY who was a bitter atheist for years....

It was so refreshing to just hear (in a simple, honest, non-flashy way) stories about how people's lives have been drastically changed by a God who is alive and well on the earth today. Just to see the way Christ is actively moving in other people is enough for me...

6 Comments:

Blogger davetonn said...

flood did a seder. probably the best flood experience to date.

4:28 PM  
Blogger John Lynch said...

That's awesome Cindi. I can't think of anything more powerful to the human experience than personally engaging stories.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds refreshing...I have to admit I had to flee the scene when the dancers started waving ribbons at the service we attended...babies come in really handy at those times :-)

I agree the most encouraging times are when people just share their lives and somehow the life of God just spills over from a simple conversation...that is church. It's even nice when it actually happens at church :-) Your blog has that "spilling over" quality about it, I really enjoy reading it.

8:56 PM  
Blogger cindi said...

beautiful michelle - hey... where do you live in the blogosphere?? I'd love to hear/read your "dialogue of grace" that we talked about. I always love to hear you voice/thoughts. Kiss that beautiful baby for me!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I think I have a blog out there somewhere with a single, lonely post, but I don't even remember my password. Maybe this summer... Most everything in my life is unfinished right now...you'll have to tell me sometime how you survived the early years with 4 little girls!

6:04 PM  
Blogger A.PETH said...

Hey Cindi!
I know this has nothing to do with easter services...but i just wanted to wish you a happy mothers day- your daughters are so blessed to have you as a mom and friend- have a great day....and...I'm back so we need to grab lunch!
love ya!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home