2.24.2008

death & life

This has been a weekend where much of my thoughts have centered on death.

Yesterday, we went out to the cemetery (although I like the term "Memory Lawn" better) and found the gravestone of my Grandma Bates. This may be wierd, but I have always loved memory lawns. I love to just walk through them and read all the stones, and think about the lives that were attached to those names and dates.

Today I found out that one of my favorite people in the world, my Momo, passed away this morning. (I'm still not sure how to say that out loud?... "passed away"?.... "died" has never felt right because I know there is still life on the other side... I don't know..." crossed over"? What is the best way to say that?

Maybe John Donne says it better...

“All mankind is of one author, and is one volume;
when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book,
but translated into a better language;
and every chapter must be so translated..."

However you say it,
I still miss her...

She was more than a grandmother.
She was my friend.

4 Comments:

Blogger Felicity said...

This is beautiful, Cindi.

Our daughter Ellery, Claire's twin, has a lovely white marble gravestone in a memory lawn very near where we live. That is the best name I've ever heard for a cemetery.

The inscription on her stone says: Our Glory Baby.

4:57 PM  
Blogger cindi said...

Felicity...
"Our Glory Baby" is the most beautiful inscription I've ever heard of...

1:08 AM  
Blogger Felicity said...

I knew you would like it. I'll send you a picture sometime.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I just found your blog from a Facebook comment. This is so perfect, Cindi. A memory lawn. Here is a post I wrote about the one in our little town. It has a picture of Ellery's stone. http://kathynick.com/2012/08/of-tears-and-treasures/

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home